Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Summer Trip 2013 Day 1

In the famous words of Steven Tyler, "We're baaaccckkk in the saddle agaaaain!  (that is a line from an Aerosmith song for those of you who don't know!)
We hit the road last night, Tuesday around 6:00 p.m. with a plan of driving through the night to Memphis, TN.  I got a few zzz's until midnight then I took over the driving through the night.  I owed Mark after my lack of driving on last years trip!

We stopped for gas just across the Missouri border and while I was standing outside stretching,  a cargo can pulled up and a Mennonite family poured out.  I don't know how many people were in that van!  As they were walking by admiring our ride, one of the men smiled and said, "I like your van."  I smiled and said "thanks", but thought to myself, "I bet you do!"  For those of you that are familiar with the new van, you will understand!




I have a bone to pick with the State Wildlife Veterinarian of Missouri.  She really needs to get a handle on the animals trying to cross the road in the middle of the night.  I felt like Mario trying to avoid logs, animals, fruit and  toads in MarioCart!! 

While driving in the dark and quiet night, your mind wanders.  I was thinking how lucky I am to have had parents that took me and my siblings on road trips growing up and the many places that I saw that people that use air travel never got to see.  I learned how to read mile markers and a map(albeit not very well), what a "jake" brake is used for, and what happens to a "runaway" semi truck!  I thank my parents for that.  Our children look forward to these trips all year long.  They enjoy helping plan it and always have an open mind for new adventures.

Anyway, on with the trip...we had 10:00 reservations for Graceland and was I EXCITED!! We arrived at 9:30,  just in time to change clothes and start the tour.  It was amazing!

 
 

 
 


                                          
                                                                Kitchen


                                                           Billiard Room


                                                         Jungle Room...YIKES!


                                                        Ted on tour


 
Priscilla's wedding dress
 
 



 If ever in Memphis, GO!!  The kids even liked it and they are not very familiar with the King's work!  We spent about three hours there and then made our way to the hotel to check in.  We headed to the Beale Street area to do some walking and have dinner.  It was interesting, but not really what we expected.  Seeing the infamous Peabody Hotel was cool, although we missed the ducks by 20 minutes. 

 
 




 
It's an early bedtime tonight after not a lot of sleep last night.  Tomorrow we head to New Orleans!!  Another new place that none of us have ever been. 

3 comments:

  1. So excited to read about your adventures! Thanks for keeping us posted, and letting me know your first quote was from a song (I'm pretty confident that line was written just for me!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, I take full credit for the incredible reproductive ability and the car-dodging skills of Missouri's native wildlife. Clicker training armadillos has been a career highlight.

    Sincerely,
    Missouri's Wildlife Veterinarian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Thanks for sharing. Lucky kids for having such awesome parents to take them on memory making adventures like this. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete